Fresh Pasta Carbonara
Making homemade pasta in your own kitchen is easier than you think. Try making this Fresh Pasta Carbonara tonight to impress the whole family.
For the pasta
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
For the Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 oz pancetta, diced
- coarse ground black pepper
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs, using your fingers to whisk the eggs together, slowing pulling in the flour. The dough will be soft at first. Knead to combine and continue to knead on a floured surface until the pasta forms an elastic and firm ball of dough. Wrap with plastic and let rest 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg yolks and Parmesan and whisk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the pancetta and cook until slightly crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unwrap the pasta dough and cut into sections. Using a pasta machine and flouring the dough generously, run the first section of dough through the largest setting. Run again, then switch to one setting lower. Repeat until pasta is as thin as you would like. Either cut with a knife into strips or run through pasta cutter. Repeat with remaining sections.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and stir. Cook 4-5 minutes then transfer the pasta into the bowl with the egg and cheese, reserving about 1 cup of pasta water. Stir and add reserved pasta water if needed. Sprinkle with the pancetta and coarse ground black pepper. Serve at once.
Use pasteurized eggs if you are wary of using raw eggs. This pasta is best eaten right away.