Farro Salad with Beets
This hearty winter salad with grains is perfect for those cold days you want comfort food but don't want the extra calories.
- 1 1/2 lb beats
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped
- 3 tbs sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the beets into rough 1 inch cubes then toss in 2 tbs olive oil as well as salt and pepper if desired. Roast in an oven heated to 375 F until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook farro according to package directions, about 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk together sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, and 1/3 cup olive oil.
- Add farro to a large skillet heated to medium along with dressing. Cook to lightly brown the farro, about 3-5 minutes. Add the beets then stir to evenly combine. Sprinkle on fresh herbs and serve warm.
Want to make it heartier while still keeping it healthy? Add 1/4 cup toasted pistachios as well as some crumbled feta or goat cheese.