Easy Pear Kolache
Love a good and tasty Kolache? Us too! You've got to try out this Easy Pear Kolache topped with a delicious cooked pear filling.
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (about 110ºF)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- In a bowl combine the yeast, 1 Tbsp sugar, and milk. Let yeast sit until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of flour, with the remaining sugar, egg yolks, salt, and butter. Add in the yeast mixture and mix until smooth. Add flour gradually to create a stiff dough.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning the dough over to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and let sit 5 minutes. Roll out onto a floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out 2-inch circles with a cutter or a drinking glass. Place rounds on a greased baking sheet and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your filling by adding your pears, sugar, and water in a saucepan and cooking over medium-high, stirring occasionally. Cook until pears are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Press your finger into the middle of the dough and fill with pears. Brush dough with egg white and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Serve.
You may use a dough hook attached to your electric mixer to knead the dough instead of doing it by hand. We did not peel our pears but you can if you prefer.