Dill Pickle Macaroni and Cheese
Add a little bit of zing to your Mac and Cheese. This Dill Pickle Macaroni and Cheese is a delightful one of a kind combination.
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk, heated
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dill pickles, chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan or skillet heat up butter over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and whisk to form a roux, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Add hot sauce, ground mustard, and bring to a boil. Take off the heat and add in cheese, stirring until melted.
- To sauce add macaroni noodles and the dill pickles. Combine together and serve.
Use tart kosher pickles in this recipe. If you want an added crunch place the macaroni in an oven-safe pan and cover with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake in oven until warm throughout and top is crunchy.