Dark Chocolate Mousse
Add a sense of fluffy wonder to your next meal with this chocolatey dream dessert.
- 8 oz chocolate (We like bittersweet, something in the 70% range)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbs sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate. A double boiler or the microwave work well for this.
- Whisk together yolks, 2 tbs sugar, and 3/4 cup cream in a medium sauce pan, then cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Whisk melted chocolate and vanilla extract into the cream mixture. Transfer to a bowl and chill until cool.
- Beat remaining cream and sugar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Spoon into serving dishes, cover, and chill at least 30 minutes, but up to 3 days.
Pour in a shot of espresso along with the melted chocolate to add some rich, coffee flavor.