Creepy Crawly Chocolate Malt Cookies
These festive Halloween chocolate malt cookies will give everyone the heebie-jeebies, but you'd be surprised how quickly these desserts scurry off the plate!
- 1 tube sugar cookie dough
- 1 tub chocolate frosting
- 1 theater box chocolate malt ball candies
- 1 box candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll a rounded teaspoon full of cookie dough into balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Press the cookies with the back of a spoon, to create a slight bowl shape.
- Bake 11-14 minutes, until edges are light golden brown. Don't worry, they'll keep cooking outside the oven.
- Remove from oven and cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Remove from cookie sheet and allow to continue cooling on wire rack.
- Prepare the chocolate frosting by scooping it into a piping bag.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, pipe a small amount of icing onto the center of the cookies, as well as 8 thin legs on each.
- Place the malt balls on the icing in the center of the cookie.
- Pipe a small amount of icing to the back of the candy eyes, then stick them to the malt balls.
There are many ways you can play with this one. Experimenting with cookie types can be fun - I love these with snickerdoodles. To dress it up some, use truffles instead of chocolate malt balls. And if you're not able to find candy eyes, they're easy to make by melting white chocolate.