Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage
The leaves are falling, making this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage a fantastic meal to prepare for the family.
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 sage leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Place 1 cup of the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil 3 cups of water and add the remaining butternut squash and garlic. Bring down to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and using an immersion blender, blend the sauce. It will be a bit runny but that's okay.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a cast iorn skillet over medium heat att the sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook until cooked through and remove with a slotted spoon. Add the flour to the remaining fat and cook 2 minutes. Slowly add in the butternut squash sauce and whisk until smooth. Cook until thickened. Stir in the pasta, sausage, nutmeg, sage, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Omit the cheese if you are dairy-free. Save time by buying pre-chopped butternut squash.