Creamy Baked Chicken Gnocchi with Spinach and Mushrooms
Now this is a decadent one pan dinner anyone can get behind with it's white wine cream sauce, fluffy gnocchi, and wilted spinach.
- 4 tbs butter, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (We like white button or baby bella for this)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 small or medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp cardamom (Optional, but tasty)
- 1/2 cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 1 package potato gnocchi (Generally about 18 oz)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (About 1.5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 425 F and set one rack in the upper third section.
- Heat a large, oven safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium and melt 2 tbs butter. Add mushrooms to skillet along with the nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, until some of the liquid has been released and cooked off, about 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine and shallot to the skillet, and continue cooking until most of the wine has evaporated. Remove mushrooms to a plate.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in the skillet then add the flour. Whisking constantly, cook about 3 minutes to lightly toast the flour. Add milk and chicken broth, and whisk until smooth. Simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes, then stir in cardamom and any desired salt and pepper.
- Return the mushrooms to the skillet, and add the chicken, gnocchi, and spinach. Stir to mix in and coat with sauce, and continue to cook until the spinach wilts.
- Sprinkle on about 1/2 to 3/4 the Parmesan, then transfer to the oven. Bake until bubbling and, about 20 minutes. To brown, turn on the broiler and bake another 3 minutes.
- Serve warm, with freshly cracked pepper and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
Leftovers from a rotisserie chicken or our lemon rosemary roast chicken are wonderful in this.