Make this savory cornbread, and you'll be everyone's favorite for generations.
- 2 cups stone ground corn meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine corn meal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs into buttermilk.
- Once the oven has reached 400 F, put the butter in the baking pan, and put it in the oven to let the butter melt and brown, about 5 minutes.
- While the pan's in the oven, add the buttermilk mix to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Once the butter has browned, remove the pan from the oven, and pour in batter. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the top is golden and it passes the toothpick test, about 20 minutes.
This is a very forgiving recipe and an excellent one to play with. Try stirring in 1/2 cup jalapeños and cheddar for a spicy version.