Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Our Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a set-it-and-forget-it miracle for those days when you want something comforting without any of the work.
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into inch-thick pieces
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Combine the chopped broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic cloves in your slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, white wine, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Set your slow cooker to Low and cook for 6 hours. Open lid and stir, testing the tenderness of your vegetables. There are two steps you can take here. If you prefer a creamier soup, grab your potato masher and mash the broccoli. If you prefer a chunkier version, you can simply leave as is.
- Cover and cook on High for an additional 2 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker. Add the cheese to the soup in 1/4 cup batches, stirring a heckuva lot to ensure it doesn't clump at the bottom of your slow cooker. When one batch of cheese is fully melted into the soup, add the next. Repeat.
- When all of the cheese is added and the soup is fully combined, stir in the half and half. Serve immediately from the slow cooker.
If you like sprinkling fresh broccoli on top of your soup, feel free to reserve a few florets for that purpose. Feel free to play with the flavors of this soup, it really is a blank canvas. Jalapeños would be a delicious addition, and let us know if you try it! Ready for dessert? Perfect!