Better get your shopping done before April 12th because more and more shops are closing their doors this year to take the day off. Although online shopping sites like Amazon are always open, sometimes you need something you can't wait to be delivered. While we can't predict future problems, like the Easter bunny forgot to pick up the Easter eggs or the dog got into the ham, it's a good idea to have a look at which stores are closed before heading out for last minute shopping.
This list includes major department stores that have decided to close nationwide, along with national chains and drug stores. This list of stores may or may not reflect every location so make sure to call ahead of time to find out the operating hours.
Update: March 17, 2021.
Please check with your local store for hours regarding Easter Sunday and new hours due to Coronavirus, and practice social distancing as you shop. Lowes recently announced it will be closed on Easter Sunday for the second year in a row "to show the home improvement retailer's appreciation for more than 300,000 associates' continued dedication. As we near the one-year anniversary of the pandemic's impact, we continue to recognize and thank our more than 300,000 associates who have demonstrated, again and again, their passion and commitment to serving our customers," said Marvin Ellison, Lowe's president and CEO. "Easter Sunday is an opportunity to spend time with loved ones."
The original article continues below:
The Stores Closed on Easter
- Sam's Club
- Trader Joe's
- Big Y
- BJ's Wholesale Club
Most grocery store chains close for the entirety of Easter Sunday but some may be open in the afternoon. If you forgot to grab that last piece of chocolate for your basket or the potatoes for your Easter brunch or dinner, make a call on Good Friday to your local grocery store to find out whether the normal operating hours apply this Easter.
And for those that don't celebrate Easter, here's a list of which stores are open so you can still get your shopping on.
Stores Open on Easter Sunday
- Albertsons - some locations are open, but call your local store beforehand because some will be closed.
- Dollar General
- The Fresh Market- open from 8 am to 6 pm
- Giant Food
- Harris Teeter
- Piggly Wiggly - call to check hours beforehand
- Safeway - some hours will be different
- Stop & Shop - stores will be open form 7 am to 5 pm, with a senior-only hour at 6 am to 7:30 am. Pharmacies will be open 9 am to 1 pm
- Whole Foods - check the hours first!
- Winn-Dixie - check before you go, as some locations might be closed.
- Vons- check the hours before going!
- Food Lion - hours vary by location
- Home Depot
- Kroger - call before going, as some locations will have different store hours
This post was originally published on April 18, 2019.