It's soup season again! As much as I love soup, I really only eat it in the cooler months. Thankfully the temperature seems to be dropping daily, which means its time to bust out the soup pot and my favorite bowl. Copycat Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup is the first on the list and my inner-spooky witch can't wait to be eating it while watching the leaves change colors outside.
What is Chili's famous soup?
Did you know Chili's is known for more than chili? Chili's serves Mexican-inspired soups and classics such as Chicken Enchilada Soup, Southwest Chicken Soup, and Chicken Tortilla Soup on a rotating basis. Their most popular are the Enchilada and Southwest chicken soup, especially in the winter months.
What are the ingredients in Chili's Copycat chicken enchilada soup?
One thing I love about copycat recipes is that you know everything that goes into it. This chicken enchilada soup recipe includes ingredients such as chili powder, red enchilada sauce, chicken broth, boneless chicken breasts, masa harina, and fried tortilla chips. A fresh made pico de gallo is the perfect garnish.
How to Make Chili's Famous Chicken Enchilada Soup
To begin, season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook in a large dutch oven with vegetable oil. You could always skip this step and shred up rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make prep time even faster.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pot and add in the diced onion and clove of garlic. Add in the spices (chili powder, cumin) and cook until fragrant. Add in the chicken broth.
Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the masa harina and water. add to the pot with the enchilada sauce.
Add the chicken breasts in and simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
Stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Serve with pico de gallo and tortilla strips. If you need more "oomph" add black beans to the soup!
Copycat Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 12-oz can red enchilada sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pico de Gallo
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1/4 cup Chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- To begin, season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook in a large dutch oven with vegetable oil.
- Once the chicken is browned remove from the pot and add in the diced onion and clove of garlic. Add in the spices (chili powder, cumin) and cook until fragrant. Add in 2 cups the chicken broth.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining broth and masa harina until smooth. Whisk into the soup pot. Add the enchilada sauce.
- Add the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook on low for 30 minutes.
- To prepare pico de gallo, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- After 30 minutes, whisk in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook on low until melted. Ladle into bowls and top with pico de gallo and crushed tortilla chips.