Chicken Waldorf Salad
The Waldorf salad is not your average chicken salad. With the fresh crunch from apples, grapes, and celery, it's as refreshing as it is delicious.
- 1 large sweet apple (We like Fuji, Pink Lady, or Gala for this)
- 1 lemon's worth of juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat yogurt
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast (About 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup red grapes
- 2 ribs celery
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins (Optional)
- Juice the lemon into a shallow bowl or plate, then core and cut the apple. Place the apple pieces in the lemon juice to coat and prevent browning. Let them rest while prepping the other ingredients.
- Chop the chicken breast into roughly equal cubes. Halve or quarter the grapes. Thinly slice the celery. Coarsely chop the walnuts. Add these ingredients to a large salad bowl.
- Transfer the apples from the lemon juice to the salad bowl, leaving as much lemon juice behind as you can. Add the mayo and yogurt to the lemon juice and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, then toss to coat. Refrigerate to chill completely before serving. Can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Getting creative with serving can change this dish up quite a bit. On a croissant or a bed of greens, it makes a perfect lunch. In a butter lettuce cup or on a cracker, it's a sophisticated appetizer.