Chicken Tortilla Soup
Warm yourself to the bones with this spicy and flavorful Mexican soup.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (Or use 2 cups shredded chicken)
- 1 tbs paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, diced (Keep 1/4 cup separate to use for garnish)
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz corn (Or hominy)
- 10 oz crushed tomato with chilis
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 6 cups broth
- 3 tbs corn meal
- 1/4 cup water
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine paprika, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Drizzle chicken breast lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle on spice blend. Set aside what isn't used. Add a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake until chicken is done, about 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred then set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Once warm, add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño, and cook for another minute.
- Add what remains of the spice blend, as well as cayenne, oregano, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- Stir in beans, corn, tomatoes, and tomato paste, then cook for about a minute.
- Add broth then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, then add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal with water then pour into the soup. Taste the soup to gauge the seasoning and add what you'd like. Let simmer another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let rest about 15 minutes before serving. Prep the toppings.
- Add the tortilla strips to the soup, then serve topped with your favorite topping combinations!
Try it with fresh cornbread in place of tortilla strips.