Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Red Pepper Skillet
This hearty, one pan dinner is perfect for busy weeknights or any time you want to benefit from nutrient dense sweet potatoes and red bell peppers.
- 1 1/2 lb chicken, cut into rough 1 inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan or cast iron skillet, heat about 2 tbs oil over medium.
- Add the chicken to brown, about 5 minutes, then remove from pan. It'll go back in later, so don't worry about cooking it all the way through.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pan and sprinkle in a little salt to help soften them. If needed, add a bit more oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every other minute or so.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook about 5 minutes, stirring regularly but not constantly. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and spices, then cook about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan, then cook chicken through, about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on temperature loss and size.
- Serve warm, garnished with green onions and freshly cracked pepper, and enjoy!