Chicken Stuffed with Dirty Rice
We love dirty rice, so why not use it as a stuffing this holiday season? Our Chicken Stuffed with Dirty Rice is a Cajun favorite.
- 1 lb fresh chorizo
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 5-6 lb roasting chicken
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the fresh chorizo and cook until browned. Remove the chorizo from the pan and add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the creole seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Add in the rice and return to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmering until rice is cooked, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, rub the chicken with butter and season with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken is fully cooked, about 2 hours.
- Once chicken is roasted, add rice to the chicken and heat 10 minutes. Serve.
Do not cook the rice inside of the chicken, we like to stuff it after the chicken is fully cooked. Make it ahead of time by making the dirty rice the day before.