Chicken Banh Mi Burger
This Vietnamese bánh mì inspired burger skips the pickling, sticking with fresh, crunchy vegetables and a flavorful marinade.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 thai chilis, thinly sliced (Can sub for 1 jalapeño)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cucumbers, cut into long, thin ribbons (A potato peeler does this job wonderfully)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 6 hamburger buns
- Mayonnaise, to taste
- Whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar to dissolve the sugar. Add the garlic, chilis, and chicken breasts, tossing to coat. Cover and let marinate 20 minutes.
- Grill chicken over moderate heat until cooked through. Depending on the thickness, it should take about 15 minutes total. Let rest 5 minutes before prepping the burger.
- Spread a little mayo on the buns, then toast them. The mayo helps them crisp up to a beautiful, crunchy golden brown.
- Pile on your lettuce, cilantro, chicken, cucumbers, onions, and peppers, and enjoy!