Cherry Cream Cheese Danish
Thanks to puff pastry sheets, you can have flaky, golden, cream cheese and cherry danishes for breakfast any day of the week.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cup cherries, pitted (Both fresh and thawed frozen work well)
- 1 egg
- 1 package thawed puff pastry dough, both sheets
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Collect about 1 tsp zest from the lemon and juice it. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tbs water. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, lemon zest, and sugar if using. Beat until creamy.
- Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, then lightly roll to flatten. Cut in thirds along the folds, then cut each strip in half. Each sheet will yield 6 rectangles.
- Transfer the rectangles to the baking sheets and place them about 2 inches apart from each other. Using a small, sharp knife, score a border about 1/4 inch from the edges. That'll help the dough rise evenly while it's baking.
- Next, divide the cream cheese between the rectangles, trying to stay within the border. Top with fruit, then sprinkle about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp lemon juice directly onto the fruit. Brush the edges with the egg wash.
- Bake until golden and puffed, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a baking sheet to cool completely.
Puff pastry can take a little bit of time to thaw. We like to put them in the refrigerator the night before so they're thawed and ready for when we need them.