Cheese and Sausage Breakfast Strata
This make ahead breakfast casserole is the perfect solution for brunch or whenever you want to treat yourself to something extra special in the morning.
- 8 slices white bread (About 1 oz, can sub for other kinds of bread if you want to incorporate other flavors)
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 6 oz sharp cheddar, freshly grated (Makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk (Can sub for other types of milk)
- 2 tsp dry mustard (Or 2 tbs prepared mustard)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the sausage completely in a large skillet over medium heat until no more pink remains.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into rough, 1 inch cubes, then layer into the bottom of a lightly greased baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Once the sausage is done, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the baking dish, on top of the bread. Then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Pour the egg mix over the the baking dish, then cover and refrigerate overnight. (If you're really in a pinch, you can bake it right away, but it's worth it to let it rest.)
- Remove pan from oven about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 F and bake until it passes the toothpick test, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.