Cheddar and Herb Twists
Bake these crispy, delicious twists to compliment your favorite salads, soups, and chowders.
- 1 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs water
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine cheese, thyme, sage, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface until a bout 1/8 inch thin.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese mixture over half the dough, then fold the un-cheesed half over the cheesed. Roll out again until dough is 1/8 inch thin. Repeat 2 more times.
- Transfer dough to a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the oven by positioning one rack near the top third of the oven, and the other near the bottom third. Prepare 2 large baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut pastry in half length-wise. Cutting perpendicularly, cut the dough into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Twist each strip a few times and transfer to baking sheets, leaving 1/2 - 3/4 inch empty space between.
- Whisk together egg and water, then brush onto twists. Sprinkle on coarse salt and pepper.
- Bake twists with one pan at the top of the oven, and the other at the bottom, for 5 minutes, then switch. Bake another 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let twists cook on baking sheets.
- Can be made one day ahead. Cover cooled twists with foil and store at room temperature.
You can substitute crescent roll or flaky biscuit dough for puff pastry for a similar texture.