Cantaloupe and Fig Salad with Prosciutto and Balsamic Reduction
This sweet and savory summer salad is perfect for when you want something light and satisfying for lunch, or as an appetizer for when dinner's on the grill.
- 1 lb cantaloupe, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 9 oz salad greens
- 3 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 oz soft, mild cheese (We like everything from fresh mozzarella to monterey jack or a camembert)
- 4 figs, quartered
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat vinegar over medium-low heat to bring to a simmer. Let reduce by half, stirring occasionally. This should take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then toss in with the salad greens.
- Divide the cantaloupe slices, greens, figs, cheese, and prosciutto between the serving plates. Drizzle on the balsamic reduction, and enjoy!
With a couple of adjustments, this salad can easily be served from a bowl instead of prepped individually per plate. Just peel and cut the melons a little smaller, and cut or tear the prosciutto into bite-sized pieces.