Cabbage has a reputation for being nutritious and helpful with weight loss. Try this low carb soup and see that diet food doesn't have to taste like it!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 1 head small green or Savoy cabbage
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (Or 1 tsp dried)
- 6 cups broth
- In a large soup pot, heat oil on medium high. When warm, add onion and sauté until beginning to brown and become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, and tomatoes. Sauté until slightly softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and oregano, along with salt and pepper if desired. Add broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until vegetables have softened, about 20 minutes.
Though tasty on it's own, this nutritional soup makes a great jumping point for all sorts of recipes. Add jalapeño, cilantro, and lime for a Mexican twist, or spicy kielbasa sausage and potatoes for a heartier version.