Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Step-by-step instructions for an essential classic dinner.
- 3-4 lbs chicken parts Or 1 chicken, cut into parts
- 2 1/8 cups buttermilk, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt Or seasoned salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 cup milk
- Vegetable or Canola oil Amount depends on the size of your pan
- Refrigerate chicken overnight in 2 cups of buttermilk.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and let rest outside the fridge for 30 minutes before preparing to fry.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and onion powder until evenly combined.
- Combine milk and 1/8 cup buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and mix with a fork until lumps form.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with a little salt and pepper, then coat with the flour mix by pressing the mix onto the chicken to ensure it adheres.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 F.
- Cook meat in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook until edges golden brown and flip, about 10-15 minutes). Cook on other side for 10 minutes. Juices should run clear when meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Let cool and drain on wire rack.