Brown Butter Snickerdoodles
Looking for a holiday cookie for your next party? These Brown Butter Snickerdoodles are an elegant twist to the cinnamon sugar classic.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
For The Topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Add butter to saucepan and heat on medium-heat. Melt and stir until butter begins to brown and smells a little nutty. Remove from heat and transfer the butter to a bowl. Chill the butter until solid.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add into the flour mixture and mix until combined. Chill 30 minutes. Meanwhile mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and roll into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place about 2-inches apart on the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
If you like a chewy cookie, cook these for about 9 minutes. You can make the brown butter a few days in advance.