Broccoli and Basil Pesto with Fusilli
Try this creamy and nutrient dense take on traditional pesto, using broccoli and walnuts to pack in the vitamins.
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, divided (If you have stalks, feel free to use those too!)
- 2 1/2 cups basil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan
- 1 lb fusilli
- 1/2 serrano pepper (Optional)
- Steam broccoli florets until tender but still bright, about 5 minutes.
- Blend 2 cups steamed broccoli, 2 cups basil, garlic, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, and Parmesan in a food processor or blender until smooth. If it stays too thick, try adding more olive oil or a couple drops of water. Let rest while cooking the pasta.
- Cook fusilli per package instructions, leaving slightly al dente.
- Toss pasta in pesto, top with remaining broccoli florets and basil leaves, and enjoy.
Complete the meal with some leftover roasted chicken.