Braised Red Cabbage
Beautifully hued and easy to whip up on the fly, this balanced vegetable side goes well with anything, especially heady meat dishes.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, about 2 lbs
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cup broth
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until just beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Add cabbage and caraway seeds, with a pinch of salt, and toss. Cook, tossing frequently, until cabbage has wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add vinegar then cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
The tart flavors in this dish balance out rich dishes like pot roasts, venison steaks, and rabbit stews.