Braised Red Cabbage
Beautifully hued and easy to whip up on the fly, this balanced vegetable side goes well with anything, especially heady meat dishes.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, about 2 lbs
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cup broth
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until just beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Add cabbage and caraway seeds, with a pinch of salt, and toss. Cook, tossing frequently, until cabbage has wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add vinegar then cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.