Blackberry Crumb Bars
These addictive fresh blackberry bars are perfect for picnics and sharing with friends, and with fewer than 10 ingredients, they're a cinch to whip up.
Crust and crumble
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsb baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbs diced butter, chilled
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 12 oz blackberries
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish by lightly greasing or lining with parchment paper.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until evenly incorporated and the butter is in crumbs roughly the size of peas.
- Beat the egg separately, then stir into the flour mixture with a fork.
- Press about 1/2 to 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cut the blackberries in half, then toss them in the lemon juice. Add the sugar and toss again to coat. Sprinkle them over the crust in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough mixture over the blackberries.
- Bake until it just about passes the toothpick test (a few moist crumbs are good to have around), about 40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan before cutting.
- The bars can keep at room temperature in an airtight container for about 3 days. You can refrigerate them to keep them longer, but it'll change the texture.