Making the perfect grilled cheese is like coming of age in the kitchen. When you finally learn how to get beautiful, crisp crust with melty cheese on the inside, slicing open your sandwich into triangles is the most satisfying thing in the world. It's not hard to make one of the best grilled cheeses out there, whether you prefer a classic white bread with American cheese style or a decadent sourdough sandwich with three different types of cheese.
Of course, mayonnaise is the trick to creamy, melty grilled cheeses because it has a higher burn temperature than butter, allowing your bread to turn golden in the pan without burning before the cheese is ready. Now that we've covered that mini lesson on how to make the best grilled cheese you can, let's look at some contenders. Double dog dare you to get through these photos without craving a cheesy, buttery grilled cheese, too.
1. Beer cheese, pretzel bun. Can't lose.
2. The overflow is a good sign.
3. That crispy cheese sheet.
4. Spatula perfection.
5. The pan shot.
6. Is it getting hot in here?
7. The waffle grilled cheese.
8. Feels like childhood in a photo.
9. Can I come over for dinner?
10. Stacks on stacks on stacks.
11. You had me at, Parmesan Crust.
12. Even the bread is homemade.
13. A true grilled cheese.
14. Is there an extra one for me?
15. Cheese pulls for days. And days.
16. Doesn't have to be fancy to be delicious.
17. Cream. Cheese.
18. Macaroni and Cheese. Grilled Cheese.
19. The sunlight hitting the crust is peak grilled cheese.
20. A French toast grilled cheese. Welcome to heaven.
Bonus: Why there are never photos of our grilled cheeses.
Did you make it? Even if you did, how bad do you want a grilled cheese right now? Try one of our favorite recipes the next time you whip one up for yourself.