Barley Mushroom Bake
A traditionally Czech dish made with barley, earthy spices, and woodsy mushrooms, Kuba is a tasty way to get more healthy grains in your diet.
- 1 1/2 cups dried dark mushrooms (Shiitake or baby portobello work well)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (or 1/2 tsp if using ground caraway)
- water or broth, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Soak dried mushrooms in water or broth for 2 hours, then lightly squeeze mushrooms to remove excess moisture. Slice into smaller pieces if desired.
- Meanwhile, following package directions, cook barley then strain.
- Once the mushrooms have finished, sauté the onions over medium-high until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in caraway and marjoram and cook about 1 minute. Next, stir in barley to evenly combine.
- While that continues to cook, grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Transfer the barley mixture to the baking pan and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.