Baked Macaroni and Cheese
You'll love this no-nonsense home cook classic dinner, just like Momma used to make!
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cup milk, room temperature
- 12 oz cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil pasta per instructions on package, cooking to al dente. Strain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare 9 x 13 baking dish by lightly greasing.
- Over medium-high heat, melt butter in large skillet or wide sauce pan.
- Whisk in flour until smooth. Continue whisking while cooking for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Continue whisking while cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper if desired, then whisk in most of cheese (leave a handful aside to sprinkle on top) and stir until smooth.
- Add pasta and stir until evenly mixed.
- Spoon pasta into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 F until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.