Baked Duchess Potatoes
While these Baked Duchess Potatoes look over-the-top fancy, they are actually a snap to make! All you need is a piping bag and you are good to go!
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Salt the water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return the potatoes to the pot. Mash with a masher until very smooth. Stir in the egg yolks, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Add in the butter, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir until butter is melted and the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Get your pastry bag fitted with a large star-tip and place the potato mixture in the bag. Pipe large mounds onto the baking sheet, spacing them about an inch apart.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and place in the oven to bake until the tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve.
If you want big duchess potato mounds, pipe them about 2 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches tall. This is an impressive dish to add to your holiday table.