Baked Cheerwine Doughnuts
Now you can have your soda and drink it too, not to mention make pastries out of it! Grab a bottle of Cheerwine and chomp down these tasty cherry doughnuts.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 3/4 cup Cheerwine
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 tbs Cheerwine
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Have some extra on hand, just in case)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and lightly grease the doughnut pan.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, whisk to break the eggs. Add the vanilla and canola oil. Add this to the flour mix, then pour over the Cheerwine. Carefully stir to mix everything together. Avoid over-mixing. You're looking to for everything to be just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans. They'll rise a little, so don't fill each hole completely.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer pan to a wire rack to let cool for 5 minutes.
- Tap the doughnut pan against the counter a few times, then flip it over to slide the doughnuts out. This goes faster than pulling them out by hand, and oftentimes ends up a bit prettier as well.
- Melt the butter, but let it cool enough to be comfortable to handle. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the Cheerwine and salt, stirring to get rid of the fizz and make it easier to work with. Working with 1/2 cup at a time, whisk in the powdered sugar.
- Working quickly (the glaze will set in about 15 minutes), pour, spoon, or pipe over the doughnuts. Let the doughnuts rest for the glaze to harden, then enjoy!