Baked Avocado and Egg
This creamy, nutty, simple avocado and egg breakfast is a great way to start your day healthfully, high in protein and good fats.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumpled
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, like parsley, cilantro, or chives
- 4 dashes hot sauce (Or even salsa!)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice avocados in half and remove pits.
- Remove about 1 tbs of avocado meat to make room for the eggs. (Most eggs will be a little too big and will spill over. Skip this step if you're using something small like quail eggs.)
- Optional: Put a dash of hotsauce or your favorite spices in the avocado's hole.
- Crack the egg into a small plate, then pour into the avocado's hole. Trust us, even though it uses an extra dish, it's less messy than trying to crack it directly into the avocado.
- Sprinkle on extra toppings (like crumbled bacon) if desired, then bake on a baking sheet until the yolks are still slightly runny but the whites have been cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with extra toppings as desired.
This is great eaten plain with a spoon, or spread on your favorite toast. It's also great for lunch. Try it with our sautéed chickpeas and kale salad next time you want to treat yourself.