Distilling moonshine is as American as apple pie itself, and this apple pie moonshine recipe combines all those flavors into a drink that tastes just like apple pie. (It may also inspire a toast to Mags Bennett and season 2 of the TV show Justified, though we promise this homebrew has a happier ending.)
The flavorings in this drink are all-natural, with an extra kick from dark brown spiced rum. Start by combining cinnamon sticks, apple cider, and apple juice in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Bring to a mild simmer. Once simmering, Add in the brown sugar, white sugar, and nutmeg, then cook until it's all dissolved. Remove the mixture from heat and cool to room temperature. When it's cooled completely, add the moonshine and the rum. If there is no moonshine available at your liquor store, grab a bottle of high proof everclear or high proof vodka. You could even use flavored vodka, like vanilla vodka, to add a sweeter taste.
This delicious rum moonshine recipe calls for 10 mason jars, but you can also use smaller jars or other bottles. Add a cinnamon stick into each of your chosen containers, pour the liquid in and seal. The final product tastes like fall, but it's a lovely gift or happy hour drink all year round. Try serving this flavorful alcohol with ice cream and caramel sauce to make a decadent homemade apple pie moonshine float. As for cocktail recipes, serve this moonshine on the rocks, or mix it with additional apple cider for a festive and spicy drink. You can either serve it hot or cold, depending on what the temperature is outside! The shelf life for this fall-flavored moonshine is about a year. Store it in your fridge once you open the mason jar.
Watch: Pumpkin Spice Moonshine
Apple Pie Moonshine
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 quart apple juice
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3.5 cups moonshine (Everclear can be substituted)
- 2 cups Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- Combine cinnamon sticks, apple cider, and apple juice in a stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a mild simmer.
- Add in sugars and nutmeg, stirring until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When cooled completely, add the moonshine and the rum to the mixture.
- Store your apple pie moonshine in sealed mason jars and place a cinnamon stick in each jar for added depth and flavor.