If you love egg rolls and want to consider making them at home instead of ordering them from a Chinese restaurant or another takeout location, crispy and crunchy air fryer egg rolls could be a good option. Trying to cook air fryer recipes is easier than ever, and this particular egg roll recipe made via air frying is no different.
How to Make Air Fryer Egg Rolls
For these rolls, you'll need egg roll wrappers or ones for spring rolls, flour, cooking spray, pork, grated ginger, minced garlic, chopped cabbage and shredded carrots, green onions, and soy sauce. You could also substitute the cabbage and carrots with a coleslaw mix and add other veggies like scallions if you know you'll enjoy them in your Asian-inspired appetizer. Ground chicken is also a tasty replacement for the pork.
COSORI Air Fryer
First things first: add the ground pork to a large skillet and cook until there is no pink left in the meat on medium-high heat. Drain any fat from the skillet, then stir in your garlic and ginger -- the fresher the better. Cook until you can really smell the ingredients, then add in the cabbage and carrots, after mixing them in a small bowl, for about five minutes, and sauté until they're pretty tender. No one wants hard veggies in their egg rolls!
Next, add your soy sauce and sliced green onions, plus some water and flour. After that has all combined and cooked a bit, set out your egg roll wrappers and add around 1/3 cup of the egg roll filling you made to the center of the wrapper. Fold at a diagonal and make sure to fold the sides in, then roll the rolls right up.
Before putting the homemade air fryer egg rolls in your air fryer, spray each roll with a quick spritz of cooking spray. Then place egg rolls in your air fryer basket and cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. You might only be able to fit four or so at once in a single layer, so be prepared to repeat these last steps a few times.
Flip the rolls and cook another 3 minutes -- you'll recognize the side dish is done when it's turned an attractive golden brown. Take them out and set them on a paper towel to soak up any possible extra oil, then serve.
And with that, you've made homemade egg rolls with fairly little cleanup and a shortened cooking time. They're perfect as a quick weeknight dinner option and can be paired with sweet chili sauce or other dipping sauces and are easy to reheat after they've been stored in an airtight container if you end up with leftovers.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers - or spring roll wrappers
- 1 tablepsoon flour
- 1 can cooking spray
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic - minced
- 4 cups chopped cabbage and shredded carrots
- 2 green onions - sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Add ground pork to a skillet and cook on medium-high until there is no pink left in the meat. Drain fat from the skillet.
- Stir in garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, then add in the cabbage and carrots and cook for about five minutes until tender. Add soy sauce and sliced green onions, plus water and flour.
- Set out egg roll wrappers and add around 1/3 cup of the egg roll filling you made to each. Fold at a diagonal and fold the sides in, then roll up.
- Spray each roll with a quick spritz of cooking spray.
- Put each roll in your air fryer basket and cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
- Flip the rolls and cook another 3 minutes or so until golden brown.
- Set rolls on a paper towel to soak up any possible extra oil.