Why One Mom is Asking Others to Watch Where They Wear Their Babies

Being a parent can be hard, especially of a newborn. With so much to do and so little time, multitasking becomes a necessary feat in the lives of parents. Tasks such as cooking and cleaning become dual party activities, and many look to carriers such as these to ensure the safety of their child at all times. However, one mom is warning others that doing so can have life-altering consequences.

Molly Landis, a registered nurse and mom to a 4-week old baby, took to Facebook to warn fellow parents about the dangers of cooking while wearing your baby, told through her own horrific personal experience.

On Tuesday I was involved in an accident where my stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball[sic] to my face, neck and chest. This caused open wounds and burns to my face and chest,” Landis wrote on her Facebook page.

“Yes, this is horrible and painful but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am. As a new mom I often wear my sweet 4 week old in my wrap carrier . . . on this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby bc[sic] for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn’t wearing her while I was in the kitchen. The worst of my burns is to my chest- exactly where her precious little head would have been laying [sic] if she were in her carrier.”

Landis makes a great point, one that is often overlooked. There are many situations where babies are put at risk without the parents even realizing, and cooking while wearing your baby is one of them. Many commenters noted that they also wear their baby while cooking, and never even thought about the possibility of this happening.

The point of my message is to pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies,” Landis urges. “We never think it could happen to us and I never thought it would happen to me.”

Whether you’re a mom or a home cook or both, this is a call to be cautious when cooking

Read More: This Is the Real Reason Starbucks Misspells Your Name on Your Cup