Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 7 hours
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz canned or boxed crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning (Or use a blend of dried thyme, oregano, and basil)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbs basil, chopped fresh (Plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 6 oz spinach
- 16 oz cheese tortellini
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Brown the sausage on the stove top, and drain the oil and transfer to the slow cooker. The sausage can be prepared ahead of time.
Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, seasoning, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7 hours. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
Add the tortellini and cook on high to warm through, about 15 minutes for frozen, closer to 8 for fresh. Stir in the spinach and fresh basil, allowing to wilt.
Serve, garnished with freshly grated Parmesan and fresh basil, and enjoy!
This is wonderful with a crusty loaf of bread or our kalamata olive muffins, and for an interesting flavor boost, add a spoonful of fresh pesto to the soups when served.