Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 15 oz canned crushed tomatoes, drained (Can sub for a tomato and chili combo like Rotel if desired.)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbs cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime
Heat 2 tbs olive or other vegetable oil in a large skillet (with a lid) over medium heat. Once warmed, add onion and jalapeño and cook to soften, about 5 minutes. Add rice and garlic and continue cooking until rice is lightly toasted and some of the oil has absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Be attentive and stir frequently to prevent boiling.
Sprinkle in cumin, chili powder, oregano, as well as any desired salt and pepper. Stir and let toast a few seconds then add the canned crushed tomatoes. Let that cook for another minute or so, then add the tomato sauce and broth.
Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Fluff and garnish with cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and fresh lime wedges.